Comment of the Week: Grandmother of Six Contrasts & Compares Second Life and OpenSim

Thread Started By Second Life

• 29 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
Rate Thread
Comment of the Week: Grandmother of Six Contrasts & Compares Second Life and OpenSim

[To see links please register here]

Last week a post

re-ignited a regularly occurring reader argument on the merits of SL versus OpenSimulator, its cheaper, open source spinoff. (Which for my money, seems a bit like still arguing whether Orkut is better than MySpace in 2016, but OK.) Into the breach rides

(pictured), who speaks from experience:

I am not going to get into an 'Opensim vs. SL' debate, but there are a few things I would like to address.

I have been in Second Life since October 2005. I've watched it grow from a primitive virtual world into what it is today. I am a fashionista to an extent. I spend a LOT of time shopping. I find a lot of enjoyment, and spend a lot of time decorating my house, however, I tend to shop at various well-known stores, rather than Gachas (though I've been known to do the latter occasionally). I absolutely LOVE Second Life because I can satisfy my desire for all of those things, and much more. SL offers me things that I simply can't get in OpenSim.

I am a RL grandmother (of 6, actually). I love spending time in a sandbox building. I rent regions on several OpenSim grids. I love to travel the Hypergrid, exploring what others create, what others have built. I love the fact that I'm not limited by various things in OpenSim such as the linkset limits, etc.

More from this metaverse exploring grandma:

I am not, nor have I ever been a "Furry", or a robot, or an alien. In fact, aside from the mesh body (which I do have in a couple of OpenSim grids...both open and closed), I look pretty much the same in OpenSim as I do in SL. I do not spend all of my time in OpenSim building, whether at a sandbox or on my own region. I go shopping, many of the stores I frequent as designers/creators from SL, most of which are still active in SL. I go to parties, dancing at clubs with live DJs, listen to live music. While I have chosen not to, I can travel via Hypergrid to other grids for the same things, even community meetings. I can find pretty much everything in OpenSim that I enjoy in SL, just on a smaller scale.

It really is apples and oranges. As you can see, everything that has been mentioned in all the previous posts, whether you view it as a negative or a positive, are things that I take part in almost daily in both 'worlds'. I like to think of it as SL being my New York City, and OpenSim is my slower paced, smaller city. It's peaceful, unrushed, friendlier, etc. Each has their offerings and I, like many, many others, enjoy both. I am a daily 'traveler' of SL, as well as OpenSim and I hope that never changes.

So that settles that, and there'll be no more SL-versus-OpenSim arguments, right?

Please share this post:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RELAY FOR LIFE OF SECOND LIFE PASSES $3 MILLION DOLLAR MILESTONE Second Life 0 3,370 01-10-2017, 11:30 PM
Last Post: Second Life
  Top Five New World Notes Posts from Last Week! Second Life 0 2,552 01-09-2017, 04:35 PM
  Top Three New World Notes Posts from Last Week! Second Life 0 1,993 12-26-2016, 07:45 PM
  Top Five New World Notes Posts from Last Week! Second Life 0 1,755 12-19-2016, 06:29 PM
  Top Seven New World Notes Posts from Last Week! Second Life 0 1,631 12-12-2016, 04:16 PM
  Linden Lab Vet Compares Second Life to Westworld, Wins Internet Second Life 0 2,152 12-07-2016, 03:15 PM
  Top Three New World Notes Posts from Last Week! Second Life 0 1,772 12-05-2016, 08:51 PM
  Top Three New World Notes Posts from Last Week! Second Life 0 1,591 12-05-2016, 02:51 PM
  Top Four New World Notes Posts from Last Week! Second Life 0 1,469 11-28-2016, 07:52 PM
  Top Six New World Notes Posts from Last Week! Second Life 0 1,734 11-21-2016, 05:55 PM