Why Would a Woman Want to Roleplay as a Virtual Mom?

Thread Started By Second Life

• 30 Vote(s) - 3.1 Average
Rate Thread
Why Would a Woman Want to Roleplay as a Virtual Mom?

[To see links please register here]

which helps illuminate a remarkable phenomenon in Second Life: The existence of virtual families, in which groups of SLers roleplay as traditional nuclear families with a mother, father, and two-three kids. (With the children being roleplayed by adults who've shrunk down their avatars to a kids' size.) For Alicia, becoming a virtual mother was inspired by a painful limitation in her real, offline existence:

It has always been a big deal to me that I haven’t been able to have children. In fact, it sent me into a depression for a long time after I found out that it just wasn’t going to happen for me. And adoption, unfortunately, is not in the cards for me in RL for various reasons. Also, my immediate family is very small. I have never had a sibling close to my age because my sisters were quite a bit older than me when I was born, so I was basically raised as an only child. It’s just my parents and me now, and the rest of our extended family all live very far away.

So when Alicia partnered with someone in Second Life, they "adopted" a couple of children -- all of whom know each other (to some extent) in real life, all with the knowledge and support of Alicia's real life boyfriend:

It would be hard to hide it when he hears me talking on Skype to Aldwyn or the whole family, and sees me holding the girls! He doesn’t really fully understand it, because our not having kids doesn’t affect him like it does me, but he knows it makes me happy, and that seems to be good enough for him. He’s quite supportive of my online life because it makes me happy and because I never let it interfere with anything we want to do together in RL... None of us have ever been face to face. But I feel like I know them because we share so much of our real lives with each other. I know schedules and phone numbers and workplaces. I’ve seen pictures and videos. I know about their RL families. Abby and I have each other on our RL Facebooks. Birdy has let me send her a gift to her house.

, and thanks to Alicia for her insights. As a possible addendum,

Please share this post:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woman Shoots Veterinarian After He Refuses To Do Sex Re-Assignment Surgery On Her Dog ZeroThe10th 1 4,544 07-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Last Post: ajan_salih
  Why Virtual World Fans Will Love the Upcoming Worlds Adrift MMO Second Life 0 3,287 01-14-2017, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Second Life
  Enter the Sansar Dollar: First Virtual Currency With Real Money Value in New VR Era Second Life 0 3,161 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM
  Enter the Sansar Dollar: First Virtual Currency With Real Money Value in New VR Era Second Life 0 2,961 01-04-2017, 09:21 PM
  Open Forum: What Are Your Real New Year's Resolutions for Virtual Reality? Second Life 0 2,806 01-03-2017, 09:11 AM
  Art for art’s Sake : Top five Virtual Galleries- Ceciliaroslie Reporting... Second Life 0 2,710 12-26-2016, 01:10 PM
  SLers on YouTube Starting to Shoot Unboxing Videos of Virtual Goods Second Life 0 2,651 12-22-2016, 06:50 PM
  Roblox: Yet Another Virtual World Much Bigger Than SL Second Life 0 2,272 12-21-2016, 06:41 PM
  Roblox: Yet Another Virtual World Much Bigger Than SL Second Life 0 2,263 12-21-2016, 06:41 PM
  SL Flickr of the Day: Virtual Winter in the Metaverse Second Life 0 2,492 12-20-2016, 06:31 PM